Saturday, February 24, 2007

Relationships

Everyone goes into relationships thinking it will be easy. You date, have sex, fall in love, get married, have kids, and live happily ever after.

No one realizes how much work it is.

I love Tim. I really do. I've only been in love two other times in my life so I know or think this is the real deal.

He's got some issues. He brought it up to me about a week after we started dating. So I know what I was walking in to.

I thought it would be so easy to deal with his problem. I mean he's not an alcoholic, drug abuser and he's not physically violent. He doesn't cheat. So everything else would be a cake walk, right?

Wrong.

He tell me he loves me, that he needs me, that he needs my support and help. The other night he was really down about himself and the stuff he is facing and said a few comments that concerned me. About sometimes he thinks about slitting his throat to get away from it all.

We were supposed to go out last Saturday night. His cell phone died in the middle of our conversation and I tried his house, no answer. Left him a message. He came by my house but I had stepped out to get something to eat so I missed him. Called him that night, he got on the phone and asked if he could call me back.

I didn't hear from him until Tuesday. Then he told me that he lost his job the same day.

I want to help him but I fear bringing up his problem. I don't want to make him mad. I don't want to make him NOT love me anymore. But...the stress of this...me worrying for DAYS that he was not okay, leaving message after message pleading with him to call and just let me know he was okay and getting NO response...it hurts me.

We went out Thursday night. Made plans for last night for dinner and a movie. Made plans to go to NYC today.

He no called no showed me last night. Didn't answer my message. Phone has been busy all day.

Yes it hurts. But more importantly I am worried that he's not okay.

We need to sit down and talk about this. We both know he has a problem. We never talk about it. It's like a huge pink elephant sitting between us in the living room. We both see it, we both know it's there...but we refuse to acknowledge it to each other. Out of fear of looking stupid. Or fear of losing each other.

I love him, but the silence has got to stop.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap, that sounds alot like Julia, in the way that she seemed to think that happily ever after would simply fall into her lap, that it wouldn't take work, that I would be perfect. So she jumps from guy to guy, expecting each one to be perfect, when what she's really looking for, is someone to be her yes-man. That's her anyways. And she never spoke up for herself either, never wanted to talk about what was bothering her, and then would turn around and blast me for not knowing what was wrong. That is definitely something that needs to change. The silence will kill your relationship, the way it did her's and mine.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your words too.